Event: Detroit Red Wings at Flint Generals alumni game
Time: approx 7:30pm ET on Feb 20th, 2015
Game location: Perani Arena
Address: 3501 Lapeer Road, Flint, MI 48503
McCarty & Redmond added to the hockey roster, Farner and Newman to bolster the entertainment
JUST ADDED! We’re excited to announce that two well know members of the Detroit Red Wings Alumni, Darren McCarty and Mickey Redmond will join the game. And two great musical talents with Flint-area connections, Mark Farner and Karen Newman will add their voices to the event February 20th. See details below.
FLINT, Mich. – Detroit Red Wings Alumni forward Joey Kocur and his leave-it-all-on-the-ice physical play was a force to be reckoned with at “The Joe.” That “force” returns to the ice in February as just one of the many legendary former Red Wings and renowned Flint Generals who will face off in a special alumni benefit game on Feb. 20 at 7:30 p.m. at the storied Perani Arena and Event Center in Flint.
“With all the hockey history in Flint – with the Generals and Spirits – it will be great to see the guys back on the ice and in the crowd, playing one of the greatest NHL franchises alumni – the Detroit Red Wings,” said longtime Generals defenseman Lorne Knauft. “Hockey fans in general, both Generals fans and Red Wings fans alike, won’t want to miss it.”
Kocur will be joined by several notable Red Wings alumni including left wing Petr Klima, right wing and 50-goal scorer John Ogrodnick, right wing Brent Fedyk, center and 50-goal scorer Jimmy Carson and goalie Eddie Mio. Former Boston Bruins star left wing Sergei Samsonov is also slated to play as well as Maple Leafs star Al Iafrate.
Several of Knauft’s Generals teammates will also be back on the ice including right wing Jim Duhart, defenseman Stephane Brochu, left wing Larry Bernard, defenseman Keith Whitmore, right wing Jason Glover, center Dale Greenwood and left wing John Heasty.
Local musical celebrities are also scheduled to appear, including Flint-Area-native Mark Farner (of Grand Funk Railroad fame) to sing America the Beautiful, and perennial Red Wings National Anthem signer Karen Newman of Grand Blanc.
Despite the all-star lineup, the family-friendly event won’t break the bank as tickets are just $10 and $15 and may be purchased at the Perani Box Office, Ticketmaster outlets or www.tickemaster.com.
A portion of the event’s proceeds will benefit United Way of Genesee County – an organization focused on helping individuals and families achieve their potential through education, income stability and healthy lives – and the Old Newsboys of Flint, an organization that has made Christmas wishes come true for more than 700,000 local children over the past 90 years.
Alumni Game at a Glance
When: Feb 20, 7:30 p.m.
Where: Perani Arena and Event Center, 3501 Lapeer Road, Flint
Tickets: $10-$15, available at Perani Box Office or www.ticketmaster.com
Box office number and hours: (810) 744-0580; Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Sat. 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Post-game meet and greet charity dinner tickets: $30, includes buffet dinner and cash bar following game at Bubba O’Malley’s, 1076 Belsay Rd., Burton, Mich. Tickets are very limited. Information, call 810-715-9900 or the Perani Box Office.
Red Wings Alumni & Stars slated to play
* Jimmy Carson – Center started his NHL career with the Kings and posted a career-high 55 goals and 52 assists while in Los Angeles during the 1987-88 season
* Brent Fedyk – Drafted by the Red Wings, the right wing suited up for 12 teams in five leagues including the Flyers and the Rangers.
* Joey Kocur – Known for his physical play, Kocur – one half of the “Bruise Brothers” with Bob Probert – was one of the most penalized players in NHL history, amassing 2,519 penalty minutes in stints with the Red Wings, Rangers and Canucks.
* Eddie Mio – Goalie drafted by the Blackhawks in 1974 and closed out his pro career with the Red Wings in 1986.
* John Ogrodnick – Right wing posted a career-high 55 goals and 50 assists with the Red Wings during the 1984-85 season and finished his NHL career in 1993 with 402 goals and 425 assists.
* Petr Klima – Left wing, who started and closed out his NHL career with the Red Wings – with stints on five other teams – posted 313 goals in his 13 NHL seasons.
* Kevin Miller – Michigan State graduate played on the U.S. National Team before making the jump to the NHL in 1988. He played for 10 NHL teams.
* Al Iafrate – A member of the U.S. Olympic Team in 1983-84, the defenseman opened his NHL career with the Toronto Maple Leafs and closed it out with the San Jose Sharks.
* Wayne Presley – Right wing first suited up for the Chicago Blackhawks in 1984 where he posted a career-high 32 goals and 29 assists two years later.
* Sergei Samsonov – Russian left wing began his NHL career with the Boston Bruins and went on to tally 571 NHL points in 14 seasons.
* Rolf Nilsen – Left wing from Norway and Cape Coral, Fla. is a former ski jumper in his second season with the Red Wing Alumni. Nilsen is the new owner of the Perani Arena & Event Center and the OHL franchise that will begin play in Flint this fall.
* Darren McCarty – The retired right winger scored the Stanley Cup-clincher goal to help the Red Wings break a 42 year absence in the 1996-97 season. He’s an OHL veteran of the Belleville Bulls and is noted for his charitable work on behalf of Multiple Myeloma, and was lead singer of his former rock band, Grinder.
* Mickey Redmond – Former right winger and 10 year NHL veteran, Redmond had back to back 50 goal seasons for the Red Wings in 1972-73 and 1973-74 before joining the Red Wings broadcast team. He played his junior hockey with the Ontario Hockey League’s Peterborough Petes.
* Jon Finstrom – Center from New Baltimore, Mich. has 11 professional seasons under his belt and was twice voted the best two-way player in the United Hockey League with the Port Huron Border Cats
Flint Generals Alumni slated to play:
* Lorne Knauft – The defenseman played in eight leagues, including eight seasons with the Generals. He posted a career-high 59 points during the 1996-97 season and was part of the 1999-2000 Colonial Cup championship team.
* Jim Duhart – The right wing suited up for 11 teams, including seven seasons with the Generals. He posted 247 goals while in Flint.
* Stephan Brochu – Drafted by the Rangers, the defenseman tallied a career-high 72 points during the 1997-98 season with the Generals and closed out his professional career with in Flint in 2001.
* Larry Bernard – Left wing played for both the Bulldogs (1992-93) and Generals (1993-95).
* Keith Whitmore – Defenseman got his start in the Ontario Hockey League before joining the ECHL and, then, signing with the Generals in 1993 where he posted a career-high 19 goals and 59 assists that season.
* Jason Glover – Right wing played three of his 11 professional seasons with the Generals, posting 101 goals and 116 assists.
* Dale Greenwood – Center started his career in Flint in 1999, helping the Generals capture the Colonial cup in 2000 and playing through the 2002-03 season.
* John Heasty – Left wing first took the ice in Flint with the Bulldogs in 1991 and, later, with the Generals, from 1993-98.
* Ross Wilson – Right wing suited up for 14 teams in five leagues during his career. He tallied a career-high 53 goals and 56 assists for the Generals during the 1996-97 season.
About the arena – The storied Perani Arena and Event Center has been a sports and entertainment hub for Flint for close to five decades. In addition to being the home of the Generals (1969-85, 1992-2010), and Spirits (1985-90), the Bulldogs (1991-92) also took the ice there. The North American Hockey League’s (NAHL) Michigan Warriors have played there since 2010.